Yesterday, I performed the show with a Q&A for VCE Drama students at Shelford Girls' Grammar School. Sharing the teenager bits of the show with actual teenagers was even more special than finding $4 in Timezone back in 1995. Thanks for having me, Shelford and good luck with your Solo Monologues!
First stop on the #DearDiary tour was the Howard Fine Acting Studio. I performed the show with a Q&A (which almost went longer than the show itself!) to the Studio's full-time and part-time acting students, as well as members of the public who also turned up for the joyride. Once again, it was a full house and a special night. There was even a man there who had seen the very first preview show at Melbourne Fringe 2015 and had decided to come back to see where the show was at now!
Once again, #DearDiary has enjoyed sell-out shows and further critical acclaim during its June encore season at The Butterfly Club. The Age's Entertainment Guide even featured the show in its Top 20 Things To Do in Melbourne. Click the links below to read some of the interesting articles and listen to radio interviews of Andi talking about the unique nature of the show and its extraordinary ongoing journey.
Schoolgirl's diary shared on stage via Herald Sun/Whitehorse Leader
#DearDiary in The Shortlist Top 20 via The Age
Five Pearls of Wisdom from Andi Snelling's Teenage Diary via Scenestr
#DearDiary Interview via SYN FM
#DearDiary Interview via WYN FM (click on 19th May)
#DearDiary Interview via The Australia Times
Meet Andi Snelling via Scribble Creative
Due to popular demand, my one-woman existential joyride, #DearDiary is having an encore season 1st - 5th June, 7pm at The Butterfly Club. I am delighted to have been asked back and can't wait to share the show now that it's even bigger and better, following the sold-out season at Adelaide Fringe. Tickets went on sale 24 hours ago and are already disappearing! Bookings here.
Here is the final rundown of amazing reviews from #DearDiary's Adelaide Fringe 2016 season:
- ★★★★1/2 "Snelling is charming, charismatic and hilarious, pulling off this unique show with a flair that grips the audience...engaging and funny...Snelling’s performance is outstanding." - Glam Adelaide http://www.glamadelaide.com.au/main/fringe-review-deardiary/
- ★★★★ "A compelling show... An entertaining, at times deeply moving, look at the nature of the human condition... inquisitive and insightful." - The Advertiser http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertainment/adelaide-fringe/theatre/adelaide-fringe-review-2016-deardiary/news-story/41618e680b3d6c8fc11db852f059bff5
- ★★★★"A fascinating experience...a talented and warm performer." - The Clothesline http://theclothesline.com.au/dear-diary-adelaide-fringe-review/
- ★★★★ "#DearDiary is self-reflexive, clever and moving." - Rip It Up http://ripitup.com.au/festivals/adelaide-fringe-festival/adelaide-fringe-reviews/deardiary#.VuIbi8d2OYW
- "Human, honest and gritty... superbly nuanced... The audience felt, and truly was, at one with Snelling" - The Barefoot Review http://www.thebarefootreview.com.au/menu/theatre/119-2014-adelaide-reviews/1340-deardiary.html
- "Snelling’s account of the value and the virtue of keeping a diary and her engaging honesty make #DearDiary a charming and illuminating confessional... An unpretentious show told with honesty and charm by a performer who lights up the stage." - Canberra Critics Circle
- "She is a phenomenal actor and singer, captivating the audience during the entire performance." - Fringe Review
#DearDiary has had a hugely successful run at The Bakehouse Theatre with every show selling out! This is my "I can't believe it!" face after the final show! Thanks, Adelaide for the love!
#DearDiary is number one on The Advertiser's Hit List!
I got interviewed recently by The Act of Storytelling about #DearDiary. We talked about my lifelong obsession with diary-keeping and the profound effect this has had on my understanding of myself. “One of the questions my show asks is how do you measure your existence? I think I’m quite obsessed with wanting to document, in particular, feelings and thoughts. I think it’s a very existential thing. How do I know that I actually exist?” Click here for the full interview.
Who's more colourful - me or the Showcase Stage?
Keep your eyes peeled for the #DearDiary Treasure Hunt, as I secretly hide a whole bunch of beautifully handcrafted diaries and pom-pom pencils (yes! pom-poms!) on the streets of Adelaide. Finders Keepers!
$14 tix to the first two shows of #DearDiary at Adelaide Fringe when you book online with the code SCRIBBLE. Limited time only! Simply click HERE, select your preferred date (Mon 29 Feb or Tues 1 March), then enter SCRIBBLE into the Promo Code Box and you're set! Now, that's worth blowing your whistle over!
"If there is one show that you do see, it should be this…"
Thanks, Glam Adelaide for making a girl blush! It's really exciting to see people getting excited about my exciting show, #DearDiary! (That's a lot of excitement.) To read the full article, click here.
I've just finished a dream run of my debut solo show, #DearDiary at The Butterfly Club as part of Melbourne Fringe Festival 2015. I am blown away by the extraordinary response which I have received, from complete strangers tracking me down to let me know how much the show affected them, to an Opening Night standing ovation, to the post-show foyer buzz, to the wonderful reviews. Here are links to some of the reviews:
★★★★ "Snelling has so much material to draw on, and is so skilled at getting the audience onside, that you're left wanting more." - Daily Review http://dailyreview.com.au/deardiary-review-melbourne-fringe-festival/30600
★★★★1/2 "You can't help but love Snelling's animated facial expressions and pantomime-like movements. Her style is unique, clever and charming." - Planet Arts http://www.planetartsmelb.com/122555
"It's an extraordinary show, full of heart and pathos... The writing is impeccable... It's hashtag poignant." - Aussie Theatre http://aussietheatre.com.au/reviews/melbourne-fringe-deardiary
"One of the most standout solo shows of the Melbourne Fringe Festival this year." - The Plus Ones
"Beautifully honest and funny" - Beat http://www.beat.com.au/arts/dear-diary
"Funny and brave construction of art from life... Andi is very funny, witty and a natural clown... This is a packed 60 minutes with no false steps and very revealing." - 3MBS Radio
"A beautifully crafted work, packed with clever charm and brilliant timing." - Melbourne Press http://melbournepress.com/2015/09/28/a-snippet-of-the-fringe/
"An outstanding performance by Andi. This show is a testament to her talent and stage versatility." - Weekend Notes http://www.weekendnotes.com/dear-diary-rehashing-the-past-butterfly-club/
#DearDiary - Rehashing the Past. (Image by Dan A'Vard)
My self-penned solo show debut, #DearDiary on at the Melbourne Fringe Festival 2015, is now officially launched! I am chuffed to say that tickets already began selling within hours of it going live! Click here, for full details.